04 October 2009

'I'd be on my very own from the first move'

Along with Chess Ratings as a Predictor of Chess960 Skill, another Chess.com forum post that captured my attention was Has it really: 'Has chess 960 become a real part of real chess like blitz and regular chess.' DrawMaster wrote,
Why not give up completely on traditional chess? You would never waste another $20 on some nearly useless openings manual. Or waste another moment trying to remember lines. Or waste another thread post ruminating on the merits of the QGD or the Ruy. Or ... • Well, the list goes on. • Then, I realized that I'd be on my very own from the first move. And that thought was decidedly scary.

Point. Counterpoint:-

  • 'Give up completely on traditional chess' • Let's not carried away with chess960. It's a complement, not a replacement, to traditional chess.
  • 'Some nearly useless openings manual' • Yes, this is a real concern that needs to be discussed intelligently.
  • 'Waste another moment trying to remember lines' • Ditto.
  • 'Waste another thread post ruminating on the merits of the QGD' • Ditto.
  • 'The list goes on' • Does it? Looks like an excellent list as it is.
  • 'I'd be on my very own from the first move' • Scary? Maybe. Exhilarating? Definitely!

Intelligent discussion, or a well-disguised facsimile, to follow.

No comments: