26 May 2012

Chess960 on the iPhone

I recently received the following email message:-
Subject: Chess960 (FRC) iPhone utility
Sent: Saturday, May 12, 2012 12:19 AM

I've written a Chess960 (Fischer Random) board generator and editor for the iPhone, which may be of interest to readers of your Chess960 (FRC) blog. It's called ChessWheel960 because it has a thumb wheel that allows you to scroll through the 960 valid starting positions (SP). Additionally, it will:
  • generate a random SP
  • display the SP for a given number
  • display the number for a given SP

I'm interested in any feedback you may have. Here's the iTunes link: Chess Wheel 960 [itunes.apple.com]

Thanks very much, W.L.

If you have used the app, let us know what you think. If you know of similar chess960 apps for the iPhone or equivalent technologies, I would like to hear your thoughts on that as well. It's a subject I've wanted to look into for some time now, but haven't.

***

Later: In response to this post, I received info about another, similar product.

Subject: Re: Chess960 on the iPhone
Sent: Tuesday, May 29, 2012 4:33 PM

I am a chess960 convert and have followed your blog on the subject for some time now. I actually submitted last week to the Apple App Store a very similar app (initially, at least, it will be free) to the one you mention, which I didn't even know existed until your post. It's named "Morphy" (after Paul Morphy), and I'll drop you another email if/when it's approved and available.

I've been working for quite some time on a multiplayer chess960 app for iOS, correspondence-style. This position generator was just a way to get my feet wet, back into the development mindset.

[]

Subject: Re: Chess960 on the iPhone
Sent: Thursday, June 7, 2012 4:37 PM

The 1.0 version is now available on the App Store:
Morphy By MCG Enterprises

It's free, and I'd certainly be happy to get a mention from you. I should also provide a link to my page with some more detail as well:
http://johnstewart.com/ios/morphy

Thanks, JS

More apps to come?

No comments: